The Legal English Communication course prepares incoming international LL.M. students to participate actively in U.S. law school classrooms. The course helps students develop the language and academic skills needed to succeed in a rigorous U.S. law school program.
- July 11- 29, 2022 (Three weeks), Monday – Friday, 9:00-12:00 EST;
- Synchronous and asynchronous activities;
- 1-2 hours of required outside reading and Legal English activities per day.
- Small class sizes (maximum 16 students);
- One-on-one teacher conferences with Penn State Law’s resident Language Specialist;
- Certificate of Participation awarded upon successful completion of programming.
Program participants will
- Engage in in-class active listening and speaking discussions;
- Read and analyze U.S. legal materials, and
- Learn to effective and clear writing for U.S. legal contexts.
The Legal English Communication course immerses students in thinking, speaking, reading, and writing about the law in English. Classroom exercises are developed from daily legal reading and writing homework assignments; students are expected to participate regularly in class and complete daily reading and writing activities. Small class size and one-on-one student-teacher conferences throughout the course ensure that each student receives individualized assessment.
This course is taught by Penn State Law’s resident Language Specialist, Dr. Lindsey Kurtz. Dr. Kurtz has over a decade of experience teaching Legal English to multilingual law students in the U.S. and abroad. She also teaches in the Penn State Law LL.M. program, so students participating in the Legal English Communication program have the opportunity to learn from one of their future Penn State Law professors prior to the start of their LL.M. studies.
Is this program right for you?
- Gain exposure to English legal vocabulary;
- Gain experience in legal reading and writing in English;
- Interact with scholars of advanced language and legal English;
- Get ahead! Understand the academic demands at a U.S. law school before you arrive!
July 11- 29, 2022 (Three weeks), Monday – Friday, 9:00-12:00 EST;
Non-native speakers of English who have been admitted to the LL.M. program at Penn State Law are eligible for this program.
Tuition for the three-week Legal English Communication course is $1,350 US. Textbooks and materials are included.
Daily attendance is required to receive the maximum benefit of the program and for receiving a Certificate.
Please complete the information below to register. You will then be redirected to the payment page.
Students are encouraged to apply to this program as soon as possible. The application deadline is July 1, 2022.