You are here: Home / About / Transition Partners

Transition Partners

Get to know international students

What is a Transition Partner?

Transition Partners (TP) are undergraduate and graduate students at Penn State who are interested in getting to know international students, learning about their cultures and helping them better navigate the resources, opportunities and challenges they will encounter during their first semester on the University Park campus. To that end, TPs commit to being partnered with a small group of IECP students (around 6-10) for a semester and are compensated a $500 stipend per semester.

What do Transition Partners Do?

  • Closely guide small groups of new IECP students through the IECP orientation
  • Participate in organized monthly educational-social events and programs with their students
  • Stay in regular contact with their students throughout the semester
  • Invite their students to experience American culture by organizing and participating in fun activities on campus and in the State College community
  • Earn a small stipend for their participation



To become a Transition Partner, you must:

  • be an undergraduate or graduate student at Penn State who has resided on the University Park campus for at least one semester
  • apply online using the TP Application Form
  • participate in the TP training session and be available during new student orientation (the week prior to the start of each semester)


Interested in Becoming an IECP Transition Partner?

To apply, please fill out the Transition Partner Application. Complete the application and click the Submit button. 

For more information, contact the IECP office @

The Intensive English Communication Program (IECP) is a part of the Department of Applied Linguistics in the College of the Liberal Arts.